Never neglect your partner.
Called sexsomnia, it is considered destructive to a relationship. Dr Seema Hingorrany says, “This is a largely unknown sleep disorder and earlier, cases were not seen nor reported, but now, Mumbaikars are coming up with the symptoms of sexsomnia.”
Why it happens
Predisposing factors of sexsomnia include a prior history of a sleep disorder and a family history of sleepwalking. “Thus, there appears to be a genetic component to this disorder. Also, one of the couples might try to engage in physical intimacy in sleep due to a high probability of missing out on sex in their marriage. Partners neglecting each other for physical intimacy is also a reason why this ‘sex sleep’ might take place. Sexsomnia can make a person uncomfortable and frighten a partner. It must be dealt with,” she says.
If you have ever acted out sexually while sleeping, help is at hand.
Dr Hingorrany presents tips to combat it:
– If you suffer from depression, find a way out of it.
– Get enough relaxation time.
– Have a healthy sex life.
– Never neglect your partner. This can lead to low self-esteem related to active sexual behaviour.
– Check if the medications you are taking is causing this.
– Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Resource Development conducted by a psychologist can help immensely, too.
Read this article in Times of India
Op-ed pieces and contributions are the opinions of the writers only and do not represent the opinions of Y!/YNaija.