The Nigerian Military on Wednesday said terrorist sect, Boko Haram had been confined to Sambisa forest, ThisDay reports.
The head of the counter-insurgency operation in the North-east and Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Lucky Irabor said this during a press conference in Maiduguri.
Irabor said the last Boko Haram stronghold, Mallam Fatori was captured on September 27, 2016.
Irabor said, “We have captured the Boko Haram last known strongholds of Abadam and Mallam Fatori, and we are now consolidating our holds.”
He said the troops are not resting on their oars as they are battle ready to wrestle Sambisa forest from the insurgents. He stated further that the military had received delivery of equipment to stop the usage of Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) by the insurgents.
“We have made it impossible for insurgents to have access to roads that have been cleared of IEDs. We are taking delivery of equipment to identify and clear IEDs and we are going to immediately deploy them for use.”
Dolapo is a writer and journalist who works with YNaija. He has interests in Christianity, politics and sports.