by Azubuike Azikiwe
All around the world, the international youth day is being celebrated with various events and activities. Its a day om history when the youths get to do their thing, and here are some of the must know facts about 12 August, International Youth Day.
- The United Nations decided on “Youth and Mental Health.” as the theme for this year’s International Youth Day, celebrated today, Tuesday, 12 August, 2014. The first IYD was observed on 12 August, 2000.
- The aim of International Youth Day is to endorse consciousness, particularly among youth. The World Programme of Action wants to achievement in 10 main fields, which are: starvation, poverty, education, employment, health, drug exploitation, childhood felony, recreation events, Child and young women, Environment.
- Besides being the designated date for the youths, August 12 is also ‘Sewing Machine day, World Elephant day, Viny Record day, IBM day, among others.
- The 2014 observance of International Youth Day will raise awareness on this important topic of ‘mental health’ and highlight the experiences of brave, young individuals who have chosen to speak out about these issues with the objective of overcoming stigma and discrimination, and ultimately to ensure that young people with mental health conditions can lead full and healthy lives free from isolation and unnecessary shame, and openly seek the services and support they need.
- International Youth Day (IYD) is an awareness day designated by the United Nations, with the aim of drawing attention to a given set of cultural and legal issues surrounding world’s youth.
- The aim of International Youth Day is to endorse consciousness, particularly among youth. The World Programme of Action wants to achievement in 10 main fields. The 10 fields are starvation, poverty, education, employment, health, drug exploitation, childhood felony, recreation events, Child and young women, Environment.
- International Youth Day is the best time to commemorate the power and strength of the youth all around the globe. International Youth Day has celebrated every year on 12th August since 1999.
- IYD is not the only youth day for youths as there is another one created by the Vatican back in the Eighties. World Youth Day was created by Pope John Paul II after large turnouts at the 1984 Jubilee of Young People and the 1985 gathering for the International Year of Youth in Rome.
- Many activities and events take place around the world on International Youth Day to promote the benefits that young people bring into the world.
- Many countries participate in this global day when countires of the world will hold special events, which may include youth conferences on issues such as education, enterprise and employment. Other activities include concerts, symposiums, sporting events, plays, parades, exhibitions, and several others.