Georgina Chapman, wife of embattled American film producer and former studio executive Harvey Weinstein says she is leaving him in the wake of numerous allegations of sexual harassment from actresses.
• Georgina’s resolve
41-year-old Georgina who is a fashion designer said Weinstein’s actions were “unforgivable”.
Georgina told People magazine, “My heart breaks for all the women who have suffered tremendous pain because of these unforgivable actions”.
Weinstein and Georgina married in 2007 and have two kids between them.
• His numerous accusers
The latest women to amplify Weinstein’s sexual promiscuities are Angelina Jolie and Gwyneth Paltrow, both sent statements about Weinstein’s behaviour to the New York Times last week, claiming the incidents happened in their early days as an actress.
Jolie said in an email, “I had a bad experience with Harvey Weinstein in my youth, and as a result, chose never to work with him again and warn others when they did. This behaviour towards women in any field, any country is unacceptable.”
Paltrow in a statement alleged that, after Weinstein cast her in the leading role in Emma, he summoned her to his hotel suite, where he placed his hands on her and suggested massages in his bedroom.
“I was a kid, I was signed up, I was petrified,” Paltrow told the newspaper. She also said she told her then-boyfriend Brad Pitt about the incident, and that he confronted Weinstein.
“I thought he was going to fire me,” she said.
According to the New Yorker, 16 former and current employees at Weinstein’s companies told the magazine “they witnessed or had knowledge of unwanted sexual advances and touching at events associated with Weinstein’s films and in the workplace”.
The magazine also quoted Italian actress and director Asia Argento and Lucia Evans – who says she was an aspiring actress when Weinstein allegedly approached her in 2004. Both ladies claimed they were forced into sexual acts by the producer.
Argento said she has not spoken until now for fear of any injury to her career. “That’s why this story – in my case, it’s 20 years old, some of them are old – has never come out,” she told the New Yorker.
A third woman, who pleaded anonymity, said Weinstein had “forced himself on me sexually”.
Roseanna Arquette also said that she rejected Weinstein’s advances, which she believes had a negative impact on her acting career.
• The Obamas’ reaction
Meanwhile, ex-President Barack Obama and his wife Michelle who were hosts to Weinstein several times during their stay in the White House, have joined the increasing wave of condemnation.
In a statement, they said they were “disgusted by the recent reports about Harvey Weinstein” and added that they “celebrate the courage of women who have come forward”.
Weinstein was a big donor to the Democratic party under Mr Obama’s leadership and equally extended same to Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign. Mrs Clinton, however, said she was “shocked and appalled” by the revelations.
• What his spokeswoman has to say
However, Weinstein’s spokeswoman Sallie Hofmeister in a statement in response to the article said, “Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr Weinstein. Mr Weinstein has further confirmed that there were never any acts of retaliation against any women for refusing his advances”.
“Mr Weinstein obviously can’t speak to anonymous allegations, but with respect to any women who have made allegations on the record, Mr Weinstein believes that all of these relationships were consensual. Mr Weinstein has begun counselling, has listened to the community and is pursuing a better path,” she added.
Weinstein was fired on Sunday from his own film studio, with the Weinstein Company board saying on Tuesday that they would help with any criminal investigation.