by Kolapo Olapoju
1. It is with immense regret we announce that Christmas has been cancelled…..at least in Sierra Leone. The spread of the Ebola virus disease may be over in Nigeria, but the good folks of Sierra Leone are still grappling with the virus. Sierra Leone has overtaken Liberia to become the country worst affected by Ebola, with 1,319 new infections recorded in the last three weeks. The government of the country has advised everyone to stay at home on Christmas day.
2. Two things: Either Doyin Okupe is terrified of the APC fielding Buhari and Amaechi, going by his tweet of yesterday, where he said that a combination of the pair is a ‘fatal error’. Another angle is that Jonathan’s Senior Special Assistant on Public Affairs may just be on the payroll of the opposition party, to give them counsel on the pairing of sell-able running mates.
3. As if predetermined, a few hours losing his bid to win the presidential ticket of the All Progressives Congress, Imo state Governor, Rochas Okorocha snapped up the governorship ticket of his state. His son-in-law, Chief Uche Nwosu, had to take a big bite of the ‘humble pie’ and say “party interest supersedes personal ambition”. You just have to be intrigued by Nigeria’s politics, even if you’re not impressed. But really, who cares if you’re not…
4. Some genius in Ilawe Ekiti has deemed it fit to leave a Dane gun lying around for teenagers to play with. A 14-year-old teenage boy is reportedly dead after another teenager picked up the gun and
blame it on movies , accidentally shot him. The police say they have arrested five suspects. Hopefully, justice will be served.
5. Just in case you are not, you should be really worried about the spate of suicide bombings in the North east, especially now that the bombers are female teenagers. A 13-year-old girl wearing an explosives-packed vest has been caught and arrested in Kano. She was caught as she showed up in a clinic in full suicide bombing gear, hours after an attack by two female suicide bombers in the state.
6. Something must have gone terribly wrong, for a man’s wife and two children, his flesh and blood, to collude and murder him. Comfort Tifase and her children, Olufumbi and Oluropo, have been arrested by officers of the State Criminal Investigation Department, SCID, Panti, Yaba, Lagos, for the gruesome murder of husband and father, Moses.
7. While a bunch of women were taking a time-out from their thankless job of highway sweeping, a car comes from nowhere, smashes into five of them, kills one, and the driver flees the scene. According to the report, the driver was trying to avoid hitting a truck, and therefore decided, it was safer to kill honest Nigerians, stuck in a tough occupation.