by Tolu Omoyeni
Speaking at a lecture in Kaduna, former CBN governor, Prof. Charles Soludo condemned President Muhammadu Buhari’s approach in tackling the economic crisis facing the country. In his speech, he recommended that the economy should restructured from consumption-driven to a production-based. He also said President Buhari was dealing with the “symptoms” of corruption and not the ailment and that is not the way to go.
Prof Soludo added that the current government should quit the blame game and face its own failures. He proffered a myriad of solutions that would help the President overcome the economic problems that ravage the country.
After all said, Senator Shehu Sani, APC senator representing Kaduna Central has countered Prof Soludo’s advice by reminding him of how much he contributed to the said economic woes while he was CBN governor. Here are 5 quotes by Mr Sani pointing right back at Soludo has one of the causes of Nigeria’s present economic situation:
- “It’s too early to forget the legacy of cronyism, elitism and vindictiveness that occasioned the past administrations, one of which Prof. Soludo was a part of.”
2. “If Charles Soludo and his government had implemented some of the lofty ideas of reforms he shared at the lecture, we couldn’t have found ourselves where we are today.”
3. “Soludo needs to be reminded that most of those on trial for stealing our public funds were the same people rooted in the government he served before GEJ. President Buhari is tackling the “symptoms of corruption” but the symptoms were there for 16 years. If Soludo and others had combated the symptoms, PMB could have now focused on the ailment.”
4. “Soludo was lucky to serve under a government that was powered by $140 per barrel and without the headache, heartache and bloodshed that has become of Niger Delta and the North East.”
5. “Soludo’s service at the CBN was the foundation of economic crisis in Nigeria.”